Friday, April 21, 2017

Friday Traditio: Stephen H. Webb

As many of my readers know, I have maintained and still maintain that Mormons are not Christians; rather they are a separate religion who uses a shared vocabulary. I plan to talk about this in a book with my friend Robert Boylan, who is perhaps Mormonism's best unheard of theologian and writer.

However, I do maintain that Mormons have much to learn from Christians, particularly the Ante-Nicene Fathers and and also Christian philosophers and theologians such as Augustine of Hippo, Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin, and others. Also, Christians have much that they can learn from us.

A person who shared this view was the late Stephen H. Webb, a Roman Catholic philosopher and theologian who wrote books such as Mormon Christianity: What Other Christians Can Learn From the Latter-day Saints, Catholic and Mormon: A Theological Conversation, and Jesus Christ, Eternal God:Heavenly Flesh and the Metaphysics of Matter. He also authored the influential article Mormonism Obsessed with Christ. Per friends of Webb, I also know that he was taking the missionary discussions and it was probable that he might have converted before his untimely death.

In this weeks traditio, I invite my readers to listen to Webb as he discusses some central themes of Mormon Christianity at BYU. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment