Saturday, September 6, 2014

Why I am a Mormon

5 years ago today Bishop Richard Tjaden, acting for and in behalf of the Lord Jesus Christ, laid his hands upon my head and confirmed me a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and offered the priesthood injunction for me to receive the Holy Ghost. I felt as though fire were burning in my bones, and I had no desire or even a thought of ever doing wrong again. While that obviously did not happen, the experience itself was engraved in my soul and will always be one of the spiritual highlights of my mortal probation.

But that aside, the purpose of this post is for me to convey, in the spirit of testimony how I feel about the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and my current feelings and beliefs about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Simply put, this blog is for people to know why I am and continue to be an active Mormon.

 I am a Mormon because I believe that their is a God. Even as a person who loves and accepts modern science, I see science as an evidence of God's existence and as a way to bring mankind closer to divinity. It amazes me to look at nature and see how balanced it is and how the laws of nature allow life itself to exist. As a man of reason, I do not accept the premise that this all happened by chance. It is clear to me that a Creator was involved.

I am a Mormon because I have a testimony of and faith in the Jesus of Nazareth. I believe he was, and is, the Son of God. The nonsense of the secular world that says that the babe of Bethlehem was a great man, a moral teacher, but not the Son of God is ludicrous. One cannot accept a man to be a great moral teacher if the foundation of his teaching was built on a lie. One must accept him as the Son of God or dimiss him as a charlatan and a fraud. I accept the former.

I am a Mormon because I believe in the divine authenticity of the Holy Bible. Within its pages are contained the words of many prophets, and most importantly the life and mission of Jesus of Nazareth himself. If the world would study the Bible more and adhere to the principles taught within it, we would be in a much different place than we are in now.

I am a Mormon because I believe that Joseph Smith, Jr. was and is a prophet of God. I believe that he was visited by God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ. He was instructed that he would be an instrument in their hands to bring forth sacred scripture and restore the true church of Jesus Christ to the Earth. Not only that, I believe that one cannot truly know Christ unless he knows and accepts the teachings of his chosen vessel, the Prophet Joseph Smith.

I am a Mormon because I believe that the Book of Mormon is true. The Prophet Joseph Smith testified that a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book. I know that to be true. While the Bible is a testament of Christ and will bring men to God, it does not have the testimony of Christ and of his Atonement with the clarity and power of the Book of Mormon.

I am a Mormon because of temple worship and salvation for the dead, a work not carried out in any other Church. As I have participated in this work both as a patron and as an ordinance worker, I have felt the love of God for me as well as the spirits of those who have passed on. At times this has driven me to tears, and I am not a very emotional person. I know that the work done in temples is real.

In regards to the leaders of the church who came after Joseph Smith, I regard them as good men who God has used to lead his church, and they have done a good job in many respects. I do not however, believe these men are Joseph Smith's equal. They do not have the authority to change what he taught or apply honors given to him to themselves. I also believe that many things that early leaders did plague the church today, and to some extent erase much of the good that could have been accomplished had they followed the teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I will leave you to interpret what I am talking about.

5 years have passed since the day I became a member of the Church. I bear witness of the truth of the doctrines that are taught within this church. Only by believing true doctrine can a man be saved, and the only church that has a fulness of truth is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Of this I bear witness.

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I love your testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir; your apostate views regarding the living Prophet are not in harmony with the injunctions of Joseph Smith. Joseph foresaw the coming split in the Church and left us a key. That key was to follow the majority of the 12. The 12 Apostles received all of the keys and authorities that Joseph Smith received and they were empowered to do everything that he did. Joseph Smith has appeared to Brigham Young and Wilford Woodruff that we know of, and probably others. Jesus Christ appeared to Lorenzo Snow to confirm his call as the Prophet. To claim that these men are not full fledged Prophets is to deny Joseph Smith and to reject his teachings. I encourage you to repent and choose to follow the living Prophet. A living prophet trumps a dead prophet any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marc (if I may),

      I am worthy of a temple recommend and I am an ordinance worker. I am no sort of apostate.

      Delete
    2. Acts 5:29

      29 ¶Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

      "Follow the prophet" is not scriptural.

      Delete