Saturday, April 19, 2014

Review of "How to Be a Gentleman"

If there is one thing that is true of this world, it is that we are becoming less considerate of our manners and more interested in what gadgets happen to be at our disposal. The idea of popularity has become so important that many parents (including mine) never bothered to teach their sons how to be good, outstanding gentleman. Perhaps this comes from being in a single parent home, and never hving a man in the house.

Nevertheless, this Christmas my friend Arvey McFarland gave me a copy of "How to Be a Gentleman" by John Bridges this past Christmas. I was not sure whether that meant I was a very rude person or whether I was doing a good job but needed to sharpen my tools in this area. At any rate, I decided to read the book as my book of the month this month.

"How to Be a Gentleman" is set up as a self-help book set up for about every situation you will ever encounter in life, some which I will not encounter until the future. From the book you will come away with this idea if nothing else: It is not difficult to be a gentleman, but it does take know-how and effort.

One of the part I liked most about this book was the part about entertaining company. I have never held a party, but I assume I will in the future. It was good to know what to do in each and every situation when one is setting up, attending, or having a crisis during a party.

I would recommend this book to all men, we can all be better gentlemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment